As our nation reflects on the problems facing our planet, it's important to remember why these issues matter, and what we can do as citizens. League supporters are now asking their Senators to make sure a climate change bill is as strong as possible, and it's not too late to add your voice. Click here to contact your Senators [ http://salsa.wiredforchange.
The League has been working year-round educating the public and lobbying Congress on climate change, and we expect legislation to be introduced in the Senate soon.
*Why is climate legislation important?* The scientific evidence is clear: climate change, caused largely by human emissions of greenhouse gases, is already threatening our health and causing environmental damages, including:
* Intensifying floods, hurricanes, sewage overflows and wildfires;
* Displaced populations and an increase in the spread of diseases like malaria;
* Severe droughts and heat waves leading to heat-related illness and deaths;
* Crop devastation and drinking water shortages.
*What next?* These disturbing trends will continue and worsen substantially unless we make serious changes. The League supports legislation that includes:
* A *declining cap on greenhouse gases* that reduces U.S. emissions at least 25% by 2020 and 80-95% by 2050;
* Funding to *help the poorest countries* deal with these emerging problems;
* A 10-year *moratorium on new coal plants* to restrict greenhouse gas emissions;
* Investments in a new *clean energy economy*, including wind, conservation and efficiency programs that will secure energy supplies, foster innovation, and create new jobs.
Ask your friends and relatives to take action with you today by forwarding this email. As citizens, we are in this fight together.